American Maritime Officer: January 2021
AMO jobs secure as Interlake acquires vessels from Pere Marquette, Lake Michigan Car Ferry
Interlake Holding Company announced on December 30 the purchase of the assets of Pere Marquette Shipping Company and Lake Michigan Car Ferry Company in an acquisition that includes two working Great Lakes vessels, the articulated tug/barge Undaunted/Pere Marquette 41 and the S/S Badger, a historic passenger and vehicle ferry. The acquisition signals the creation of a new business entity, Interlake Maritime Services, which will manage the new businesses. American Maritime Officers represents all licensed and unlicensed vessel personnel aboard both the ATB Undaunted/Pere Marquette 41 and the S/S Badger. The AMO labor agreements will transfer with the vessels to Interlake Maritime Services and the jobs of AMO members aboard both vessels will be maintained with the new business entity. "There are many synergies between our family-owned and operated companies and this deal was a good fit for all of us from the beginning. It was critical for us to find not only a highly committed and capable vessel operator but also a company that shared our culture of putting its employees and customers first," said President of Pere Marquette Shipping and Lake Michigan Car Ferry Robert Manglitz. The Undaunted/Pere Marquette 41 carries diverse cargoes that traditional self-unloaders cannot, such as large armor stone for break walls, pig iron and scrap, among others. The Badger is a designated National Historic Landmark, and Interlake Holding President Mark Barker stated: "We understand how important the Badger connection between Ludington, Mich., and Manitowoc, Wis. is to those communities. Interlake is fully committed to continuing its operation as the largest cross-lake passenger service on the Great Lakes, a key part of US10 highway and a vital link across Lake Michigan."
- U.S. seagoing labor: Access to COVID-19 vaccine for deep-sea mariners
- Secretary of Transportation Chao, Maritime Administrator Buzby: Outspoken advocates for U.S. merchant mariners, U.S.-flag fleet
- AMO Pension Plan remains in federal law's "green zone"
- Op-ed overlooks vast national defense, security and economic benefits of the Jones Act
- Entire American maritime industry honored during virtual AOTOS ceremony for 'delivering the goods' throughout pandemic
- Consolidated Appropriations Act provides full funding for programs crucial to U.S.-flag fleet
- Congress enacts National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year 2021